Re: Engine rebuild

To: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Subject: Re: Engine rebuild
From: Rick/Carolyn <walters@mail.softcom.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 12:30:44 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Gerard,

After reviewing your note, I would either have the machine shop give the
engine a good look over.  You will need a good set of inside and outside
mic's to check for wear further.  If there is a ridge at the top,  I
would guess there is a lot of wear on the bottom end also.  The cranks
shafts will wear oblique, out of round.  Wear is real evident on the rod
journals.  Even though they may look fine and polished wear can be
present.  The cylinder walls show wear from top to bottom.  Check the
pistons for wear on the skirt, there shouldn't be rub marks on the
pistons.

I'm not saying that the engine is shot.  In fact, I found a block with
no wear on it to for puddles.  I rehoned the liners, bought new pistons
and was ready to go.  Later we found out that it was taken out of
service because the clutch was put in backwards.  So it is posible to
find a block with no wear on it.

Good luck

Rick

--
52 MGTD,Sparky    74 MGB, B-tris    76 XJ12 Coupe, Jacque
60 Bugeye, Puddles      58 MGA Coupe, Ruby