Re: Gasket material, wicking?

To: Dave_Vrba@mail.sel.sony.com (Dave Vrba), spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gasket material, wicking?
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 13:33:59 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Dave,

Take the cap off the MC and have someone depress the brake pedal several
times with varying amounts of force. Does the fluid level vary? You may
find that the leak is actually the fluid very briefly spurting up into the
MC main reservoir as the piston goes past the refill hole. If you keep your
MC fully topped up, the fluid may be exiting through the vented cap and
dribbling down the outside.

Jeff

At 9:04 AM -0400 6/8/99, Dave Vrba wrote:
>      Listers:
>
>      Here's a weird one for ya.  Can some gasket material actually have a
>      "wick effect" with the fluid it is trying to keep in, causing a LEAK?
>
>      I replaced both gaskets in the dual bore master cylinder on the '62
>      Sprite when I had it sleeved. I have a slight nagging brake fluid leak
>      that is evident by the fluid pooling in the peddle plate.  (Small
>      pool.  You know how any liquid on a flat surface looks like the dam
>      broke)
>
>      It looks to me that the top gasket is "wicking" the brake fluid out
>      and down the outside of the body.  I have isolated the leak to this
>      area by putting a dark paper towel, secured with a rubber band, around
>      the top of the master and no more pooling in the peddle plate.  The
>      paper towel is absorbing the LEAK so to speak.
>
>      This top gasket is a gray thicker material as I remember.  Kinda
>      spongy.  I've honkered down the top plate screws to their limit, I
>      feel, and don;t want to brake or strip anything.  My gut feeling is to
>      just change out the gasket with a new one and see if it stops the
>      leak.  What do you think?  Is this top gasket thick or thin material?
>
>      TIA,
>
>      Dave
>      '62 Sprite MKII
>      Dublin, CA
>
>      Thought for the day --
>
>      Don't argue with idiots.  They won't know when you win!
>      (changed my life)

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
http://www.molvis.org/molvis