Re: paint for valve cover

To: Ric Otte <otte@cats.ucsc.edu>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: paint for valve cover
From: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 11:07:02 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Dupli-Color makes some wheel paints to refinish steel wheels. They also
have a clear coat to apply over the color of your choice, You should use a
degreaser before applying any paint, especially on a valve cover, but  this
clear should hold up pretty well in an oily environment. It's he;ld up
nicely on a rim I refinished. Should be available in most auto parts stores.

Gerard

At 7:54 AM -0700 6/8/99, Ric Otte wrote:
>Much of the paint on my valve cover had come off, and so I finally sanded
>it down.  I then decided I liked the bare metal look, and so I painted it
>with clear spray lacquer.  This didn't work, and that stuff is flaking off
>pretty quickly (I should have expected it; it was made for wood ....).  But
>I still like the look, and was wondering if there is some clear paint that
>can take the heat.
>
>If I give up on the bare metal look, do I need to use an engine paint, or
>will any of the spray paints at the hardware store do the job.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ric Otte
>HAN6 sprite

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux