Re: weatherstripping (two questions)

To: Curtis Carlson <carlson@navtech.com>
Subject: Re: weatherstripping (two questions)
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 08:59:42 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Curt,
there were a number of different hardtops produced by aftermarket
companies for a '66.  Unless someone one the list happens to recognize it
from your
description, your best bet would be to put some photos of it on a web site
and have list members look at it.
I have a Snugtop, and it is different from yours.  How many windows does
yours have?  There were some with 1 and some with 3 windows.
Ulix

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Curtis Carlson wrote:

> Fellow listers:
>
> I know we've been through this before, and I checked the archives before I
> sent out this email, but didn't find the answer to my question:
>
> Does anyone know where to find the weatherstripping for sealing a hardtop to
> the car?  I'm not interested in finding the rubber which seals the windows
> into the hardtop (they're easy to come by), and I already bought the seals
> for the roll-up windows (with the windlace).  I'm interested in the seal
> along the windshield top, and the seal along the back of the hardtop where
> it contacts the rear of the cockpit.  The front one, is nearly identical to
> the seal on the headerrail of the ragtop, but the rear seal is smaller
> diameter and much longer of course.  Both seals are fixed to the hardtop via
> a small aluminum channel which is pop-riveted to the top.
>
> Also, I know there were two different kinds of hardtops with different
> profiles. However, I don't know which was which or where they came from.
> Was one a "factory" hardtop?  One was very "bulbous" looking....kinda like a
> football helmet.  One was more angular, with a lower profile.  In the lower,
> more angular model, I know they came with textured tops and with smooth
> tops....mine is the lower, more angular model, with a smooth finish. Does
> anyone know who made these?  I have dismantled it in entirety, removing all
> seals, raingutters, and windows but have found no identifying marks.  In the
> center of the hardtop, below the rear window, there is a slightly receeded
> horizontal oval with two holes at either end which looks like it would be
> the likely place for a serial number plate, but alas, none is there.....any
> ideas?
>
> Thanks in Advance....
>
> Curt
>

> Curtis Carlson
> '66 Austin Healey Sprite MkIII ("Gerty") HAN8L-63423
> Research Geographer  612.931.3936 (voice)
> Navigation Technologies  612.931.3937 (fax)
> 5780 Lincoln Dr  Ste. 100 612.308.2595 (mobile)
> Edina, MN  55436  carlson@navtech.com

http://students.washington.edu/~ulix/         '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9