Re: 1500 Thrust Washer Check and Replacement Procedures

To: mgrazian@ltcm.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1500 Thrust Washer Check and Replacement Procedures
From: Lancer7676@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 06:29:49 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 6/1/99 3:08:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time, mgrazian@ltcm.com
writes:

<< Didn't I once hear someone mention that their washers were riveted to the
 block? >>

Mike:

That was me.   The rear thrust washer that is susceptable to slippage has
been pinned with 3 tiny pins to the rear surface on which the thrust washer
rides.  The pins are very snug, so the washer does not "wobble" on them.  My
guess isthat this was done by some very savvy machinist.  When I first opened
the lower engine up and decided to replace the Mains and rod bearings, I
thought, not knowing then how easily the thrust bearings can slip down and
cause havoc in the lower engine, that this was yet another screw-up by the
DPO's mechanic.  But as I learned  about the 1500's engine, I discovered that
someone was really brilliant in doing this and eliminating this slippage.

Next time I open up the lower engine, I need to take some pics of this and
e-mail it to whoever is interested.  I hope that is not soon, however, if you
know what I mean.

--David