Re: Spridget windshield refit

To: robert askew <robert_askew@bc.sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: Spridget windshield refit
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 11:19:51 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Robert -

Been there recently.  Here's what I did:

1) Lay a piece of 3/16" - 1/4" cord across the scuttle so that the
length of the cord is along the top of the dash, and the ends extend
forward inside and in front of the holes for the posts.

2) Use a pair of ratcheting strap tie-downs.  Hook one end over the top
of the windhield frame, and the other end over the door hinge, or a pipe
stuck into the jack hole.  Ratchet things down until you can fit the
lower bolt through (you may have to wiggle the top of the windshield a
bit to line things up).  Slip the shims in before threading the bolts
through, though.  You can leave one end of the shims sticking out as a
"handle".  DON'T TIGHTEN THE BOLTS YET.

3) Once the lower bolts are in, pivot the shims into position, and
wiggle the top of the windshield back and forth some more to thread the
top bolts in.  DON'T TIGHTEN THE BOLTS YET.

4) Wiggle things some more (you may have to push back and forth at the
bottom) to start the bolts holding down the base of the center rod.
DON'T TIGHTEN THE BOLTS YET.

5) Remove the ratchet straps, and wiggle things around to align with
doors and top frame.

6) NOW tighten the bolts.

7) Carefully pull the cord out, starting at one end, holding the other
end down, and pulling straight towards the front of the car.  This will
flip the leading edge of the bottom seal out where it belongs.  Failure
at this step necesitates removing the whole assembly and starting over.

8) Once you suceed at Step 7, go get a beer.  Go inside and reaquaint
yourself with your family.  Try to convince than that the raging lunatic
in the garage was somebody else.

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net