Re: 79 Midget exhaust

To: nateley <nateley@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: 79 Midget exhaust
From: Michael Dietsche <mdietsche@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 14:08:09 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: MG List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Victoria British and probably others sell a straight pipe that replaces the
catalytic.  It was used in one of the emission-transition year periods and
should fit without modification as a replacement -- I haven't tried it, but I
think it's cheap enough to be tempting.  It's probably a federal crime to
"alter the emission system" that way -- what would we do without the feds to
prevent us from committing these horrible crimes with our cars?   A good
muffler shop also could rig up a pipe, but they also would be leery about
replacing the converter that way because of the laws (unless they're an
"underground" shop, who love this sort of assignment!).

You're right about the carb - pure hell to R/R.  The fuel pump is not much
better.  Surely they put them on BEFORE they installed the engine at the
factory.  Otherwise the assembly line would be a pretty ugly place at the
carb-in station....bruised knuckles, dropped fasteners, and cursing mechanics
(at least that's the way I reacted when I put the ZS back on).

MD

--- nateley <nateley@email.msn.com> wrote:
> Spridgetters,
> last night I removed the head to replace the blown head gasket(two places)
> and broke off one of the studs connecting the cat converter to the exhaust
> manifold. Rather than replace the cat converter, is there another exhaust
> system option I can use that will bolt up to the manifold(3 bolts). I am
> willing to replace the whole system even though I will miss the cool noises
> the hole in the exhaust pipe now makes.
> Also, I need to replace the head bolt studs - how do I install them properly
> in the block? Anyone have any experiences good/bad with Moss/VB studs?
> Thanks
> Dave Camp
> 79 Midget
>
> PS How in the world did they bolt up that ZS carb at the factory -
> Arghhhhh!!

===

Michael B. Dietsche, P.E.