Re: Help! Bonnet release lever broke!

To: Avi Flax <avi@pccdesign.com>
Subject: Re: Help! Bonnet release lever broke!
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:54:48 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net, Reuben Flax <thrjej@yahoo.com>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Avi,
no you can't get to it from underneath.  You could get to it through the
grill.  I don't know how this would work on a rubber bumper model though.

Where did it break off, where it comes out of the dash, or where it comes
through the firewall behind the dash?  If it is the former, you can
probably dive under the dash and remove part of the cable sheath and pull
the cable with pliers.

At least tow the thing home tonight!

Ulix

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Avi Flax wrote:

> Hello, I am not a regular subscriber to this list, but I need some help! My
>brother got a 1979 MG Midget, and when I was driving it the little lever to
>open the bonnet snapped right off! The shaft of the thing broke right off,
>flush with where it comes into the interior. Now we can't get to the engine!
>
> What's worse, my Brother had a guy test driving it, who wants to buy it, and
>in the middle of the drive he stopped and it won't start up again! So now it's
>sitting on the street 5 minutes away from my house because we can't get to the
>engine to get it started up again - and now someone slashed one of the tires
>last night!
>
> Can anyone tell me how I can get the bonnet open - if I put the car up on
>ramps, will I be able to reach that "cable" with pliers or something? Where is
>it located? How can I replace that part?
>
> I really appreciate any help anyone can give!
>
> Thanks!
> Avi Flax
>
> Avi Flax - Web Developer
> PCC Internet Design - http://www.pccdesign.com