1961 Sprite MarkII Recommendations

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: 1961 Sprite MarkII Recommendations
From: Philip Hubbard <hubbard@idir.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 17:26:43 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hello Listers,

As most of you know, I bought a '73 Midget a few months ago as a project
car.  I'm considering bailing out before I get too far in favor of an
easier rebuild.  The '73 looks like it needs more than I feel comfortable
with on the rust side of life - I'm a bit intimidated.  Another thought is
that if I do end up needing to have the bodywork done professionally, I'd
like to know I'm paying to get something unique.  I already have a '74
Midget so an early car like a 1961 appeals.  This brings me to the following.

I could get a '61 Sprite (box) locally at asking price $1500 OBO.  If I go
for it, I'd be offering somewhere between $1,000-$1,200.  Here are the good
points:

Next to no rust in front fenders - none in inner fenders.
Perfect floorboards.
Rust only in front 2" of sills, but I guess that could turn out to need
total replacements.
No rust in flares of rear wheel arches.
No rust in boot or boot lid.
Small amount of rust in A-pillar.  Looks like a small patch on the outside
would do as I poked around with a screwdriver and the hinge area feels solid.
One tiny spot of rust in bonnet at lip.
Car mostly stripped saving me some grunt work and allowing me to get good
view of above.
One perfect looking seat - the other got thrown away by seller's pal by
mistake.
All original gauges.
948cc rebuilt 5 years ago, but never run and let sit.  Original smooth case
tranny.
Car was driven before rebuild.
Perfect top.
Dash in great shape.
All electrical present, but don't know if works (no battery).
AH hub cabs present.
Some extra parts (2 extra generators, 1 radiator, etc.)

Here are the less good points:

Typical bad rust in rear quarters, low and at very rear of car.  Also some
in lower area in front of rear wheel arch.
One door so-so, but other badly bondoed - seems best to buy a new door
rather than fix.
Ugly, ugly interior vinyl - must replace even though it's in good shape.
Some odd shade of brown.
Needs new windshield though the frame looks ok.
Non-original steering wheel, but replacement is AH from around '68.
One carb piston sticks something fierce.
Rock hard clutch pedal allowing no movement at all - soft brake pedal which
can be pumped up.
Side curtain plastic look ok, but rubber completely gone.

Any thoughts on an offer of $1,000-$1,200 for such a car, not being
absolutely sure of the car functioning?  (engine does look like it was
rebuilt)  The guy does seem a decent, honest fellow.

Two last questions for the brave souls who made it this far:

1) Was there that much less clearance between steering wheel and drivers'
legs in the earlier cars than the later ones?  I say this because in this
one, the wheel almost hits my knees and it seems the seat doesn't go as far
back.  In my '74 I drive daily, there seems to be considerable room between
the bottom of the wheel and my legs.  I had a '63 Midget once, but that was
20 years ago and I can't remember.

2) Has anyone known Horler to be off with his VIN/Engine dating?  I ask
because here are the numbers from this car titled as a 1961:

VIN - HAN6-16344
Engine - 9CG DaH 32457

These would appear to be for a car built somewhere between Feb-Mar 1962 for
the chassis number and June 1962 for the engine number.  How could it then
be titled as a 1961?  Is there maybe some engine swapping/chassis plate
switching going on?

Thanks a million to anyone who'd car to offer up an opinion on any of the
numerous questions I've put to the group.

Philip
1974 Damask Midget - Arioch, Lord of Chaos
1973 Damask Midget - Unnamed