Re: speed

To: Pete <pete@the-mix.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: speed
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 12:59:08 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Pete,

I know just how you feel - I never ran mine faster than 50 when I first got
it either. I think it takes time to get used to how high these little
engines run comfortably. I have a 1275 dropped into a '65 Mk3 Sprite (which
originally came with a 1098). It still has the ubiquitous 4.22 rear end.
You probably have a 3.9 rear end. Of course, how much you wind up the
engine depends on the condition that it's in, but I run mine at 70 mph on
several 30-45 minute jaunts per week and have for the last two years. I've
had it up to 90, but that was on a track and it was _really_ screaming. The
tach is fried, so I don't know how much it was being abused, though the
rpm:mph ratios are published and I could figure that out.

Jeff

At 1:35 PM -0400 6/28/99, Pete wrote:
> I'm Pete
>
> I'm new to my '69 sprite (5 months). It runs perfect, no complaints
> (although I will be asking a lot of questions). I'm not looking to speed
> all around town but I somehow feel the engine will explode if I go faster
> than 50mph. I have no idea why, I guess it's just because it's my baby
> and older than I am. Can anyone ease my mind? How fast do you people
> drive?
>
> Thanks
> Pete

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD