Re: O Ringing a Head Gasket

To: HFC <froggi@cdsnet.net>
Subject: Re: O Ringing a Head Gasket
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 06:39:47 -0500
Cc: Gary Speckman <speckman@coredcs.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
To all,

Gary was not trying to describe O-ringing a head. That involves machine work.
Usually includes using the Turbo head gasket. Lots of the guys running over 14:1
on their compression ratio will do this.

What he was describing is often used by Sprite racers on high compression motors
insure reliability of the stock head gasket. My race motor is only 12.7:1.
Comptune sells head gaskets with the wire already installed by them... but they
don't always have them in stock. It takes an hour or two to do the modification.

Gary wasn't quite correct in his description. A Sprite head gasket is about .030
thick. The procedure does include Superglue... but the fire ring must be
carefully
pryed up all they way around. .030  stainless steel wire is pressed in and
glued.
The fire ring is then pressed back down into place.

In my particular season of head gasket problem, the deck and head were check for
true, ARP studs were used, the wired fire ring  was tried... nothing solved the
problem. ARP spec on the head  torque is 55 lbs using oil, or 35 lbs using a
moly
based lubricant. Comptune suggested taking it to 55 lbs using moly...problem
solved.

That head gaskets hasn't failed in 2 1/2 years now... including having the head
off and reusing the gasket once.

WST
Flounder
Team Thicko