Re: Long; Progress on front end rebuild

To: Richard D Arnold <richard.arnold@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Long; Progress on front end rebuild
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 08:34:18 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Richard, sounds like you are doing a great job!

> Next easiest was removing the fulcrum pins.  I tried sawing them out, and
> quickly learned that these things are *hard*.  Ruined a new bi-metal
> sawzall blade in no time at all and went to plan B.

Uhmmm, I think I suggested the cutting.  Sorry.  I always ground through
the whole affair with a big grinder, but thought cutting would be cleaner.

  Put the assembly in
> the vise, and heated them with a torch while a buddy with big muscles
> used a jack handle (fit perfectly in the large slot on the pin) to
> unscrew them.  Took maybe five minutes a side, including set up.  Actual
> unscrewing took about a minute.  Amazing what a little heat will do....

That sounds like a great method.  Didn't work for me, but I didn't have a
great tool for turning the pins.  Can you describe the jack handle you
were using and what made it fit well?

Ulix