zener?

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: zener?
From: derfman <derfman@eatel.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 17:36:29 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Anyone tried a zener diode on the dash light circuit?  A zener and a big
fat load resistor could drop the voltage, but less voltage will give you
less output from the bulb,  i.e. less illumination.  How about a
fiber-optic line from the headlights?  Just kidding although I've seen a
fiber-optic kit to show you if your lights are working.  You could also
make a nifty little dash light dimmer from an LM-517(I think) voltage
regulator that would regulate from 0-7 volts.  I still think that a bulb
with a higher voltage rating is the best solution.
Cheers,
Derf
Carpe Diem (sp?)