Wishbone Replacement?

To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wishbone Replacement?
From: Chuck Ciaffone <chuckc@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 08:41:18 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Think I gotta problem here.

I just received a Major Front-Suspension kit, had
the bushes reamed into the swing axles, and started to
reassemble.

BTW: When I disassembled the wishbones, the funcrum pins seemed
to screw out fine and the threads LOOKED OK to me.

The right side went back together like a dream. No play/no slop.

Then I installed the left-side kingpin in its wishbone. Pin
threaded in ok. Seemed nice and snug. But .. when I tapped the
tapered pin in place the fulcrum pin unthreaded just a hair --
but enuff to cause all kinds of slop. My guess -- the threads
in the wishbone are shot (it's a new fulcrum pin).

Questions:

1. Maybe I didn't get the fulcrum pin in all the way the
first time -- I guess I can try to clean out the wishbone
threads and try again.

2. Can I have the threaded bushesin the wishbone replaced
   (welded and re-threaded)?

3. Should I just order a replacement wishbone?

4. I one is shot, should I not replace the other too just
   to be safe?

Dumb questions, I know; but it's my first front end job
and I'm learning as I go.

thanx

chuck