Clutch questions.

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch questions.
From: "Ric Bergstrom" <Ric_Bergstrom@britishcarclub.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 22:26:03 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hello Spridget-ers!

Finished up swapping out the tranny last weekend.  Motor in and out
went pretty easy...thanks for all the tips.

Question is on clutch.  Of course I broke the cardinal rule....if
something is working don't fix it....and decided to bleed the clutch
since it is so easy to get to when there is no engine in the car.
All I did was hook up a mity vac and suck new fluid thru.

Clutch looked great, throw out was great, Pivot bushing looked good,
pin at the slave cylinder throwout arm junction is worn.  I did use
the throwout arm/bearing from the old transmission in the new
transmission, instead of swapping just the throwout bearing.

Clutch now doesn't disengage completely.  Makes shifting very stiff.
I have to put it in second before going to first at a stop (I think
this stops the main shaft from spinning by using up the 2nd gear
synchro to get it to stop. then it will slide into first).

I've been double clutching up and downshifts with no trouble and the
car will sit at a stop without stalling, but the clutch is
definitely dragging.

I've since re-bled the clutch (no fun with the engine in place) and
had no improvement.

Any tips tricks ideas?????  (besides pulling the engine and
replacing the clutch and throwout bearings)

Could the wear in the slave cylinder throw out pin be that
critical....or do you think I have an air bubble?

Ric Bergstrom
83 R80RT
73 MG Midget
President, Central Virginia British Car Club
Richmond VA