Re: Solving a bodywork problem

To: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Subject: Re: Solving a bodywork problem
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:08:05 -0400
Cc: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Chris Kotting wrote:
> MO$$ Motors lists the assembly required (unless the rust is REALLY
> extensive), ready to be welded into your body, for around $100, and the
> individual components of the structure are available as well.

  The problem with this is that, in general, when this part
of the car goes you need a SIGNIFICANT amount of metal replacement
to shore up the area.

  As the saying goes, you can't weld to air. Once you hit it
with the grinder to cut out the useless metal, you are very likely
to find nothing left for a foot in all directions.

  I have to admit I lean to the "find a different bodyshell"
crowd. A couple of listers have already told stories of finding
good ones for free or near free.

  Essentially, get one that is worth the time and money you
are going to be putting into it. You can patch a little rust
here and a list rust there and bondo some there too, but
without proper repair with new panels the car will always
be a patch job.

  In order to fix it right takes money and a lot of time
to weld up all new panels. Generally, with cars available
as they are for the prices they are, it's not worth it.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca