Re: Alternator Q's

To: Chuck Ciaffone <chuckc@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Alternator Q's
From: Richard Shipman <mbelect@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 09:29:03 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
>Please explain how alternator voltage regulators work.

>I ask this because I seem to be over charging the battery.

Hi Chuck;

The voltage regulator controls the field winding in the alternator. It trys
to keep the output of the alternator at about 13.8 to volts DC.

This powers the cars electrical system and also charges the battery. Once
the battery is fully charged, it will "float" at 13.8 volts and not want to
accept a charge from the alternator (this is a characteristic of lead-acid
batteries). so, there is no magic here, the battery stops charging by itself
as long as the alternator output is not higher than about 13.8 volts.

With you engine running at a fast idle, check the voltage at the battery
terminals. If it is more than 13.8 to 14.2 volts, I would suspect your
voltage regulator.

Richard
'74 Midget
'68 MGBGT