Update and Questions: An Explanation

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Update and Questions: An Explanation
From: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@workgroup.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 10:03:47 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I just wanted to point out a couple of things because I think I scared
some people by the way I'm going about troubleshooting the free Midget I
just picked up.  Firstly, I realize it isn't a great idea to try to
start a car with bad gas, etc..  I don't have a lot of time to waste,
and the only reason I tried to start the car was to find out if the car
would start.  Once I got it running, I could then identify if there are
problems, what the problem areas are, and if they are worth my time to
fix (otherwise park the car and get on with my other rebuild, you know,
the one I've spent all the money on!).  It takes a lot of time and money
to drop a tank, blow out a fuel system, pull a radiator, clean/tune a
carb I know nothing about, order parts, pull the head, etc before trying
to start the car, when a rod could be thrown or the waterpump could be
out or a distributor is bad.  :-)

Things I've learned by starting the car:  engine runs, waterpump works,
oil pump works, carb works, alternator works, no exhaust leaks, may need
to replace the head gasket, may need to drop the tank, may need to flush
the radiator.

Things I learned by driving it in my back yard:  transmission works,
clutch works, brakes work.

Sounds salvageable doesn't it?

My methods aren't necessarily mechanically correct, but they do exactly
what I need them to do.  They tell me whether there are any major
problems.  Thanks for listening and being patient.

adrian

J. Adrian Barnes, MCP
Business Information Group
http://www.workgroup.net