1275 Midget roars to life... Help!

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1275 Midget roars to life... Help!
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 10:35:25 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Dear List:

I apologize if I've inquired on this issue to this list before, but I've
been out my office a bit and haven't kept up with my e-mails, but...

When starting the engine cold, after about 5 or 6 times cranking the starter
(and as oil pressure starts building up to 30-40 on the guage, when the
engine finally starts up, the RPMs go through the roof.  That is, the
throttle seems as if its all the way open, wider than with the choke open
all the way, and the tachometer needle hits the redline.  This only lasts
for a few seconds, but is rather scary to me, because I'm suspect that the
oil pressure hasn't built up all the way (possibly damaging to the engine)
and I don't like the fact that my throttle is open without my foot on the
pedal.

So far, the only thing I can think of to address the situation is to
immediately put the car in gear, thus bringing down the RPMs.  After that
the engine runs and idles normally.  And when starting warm, there are no
problems.

Now here's the perplexing part.  I have never actually owned or tinkered
with a non-fuel injected car before.  Let alone a twin carb setup (SUs).
I'm lucky to know my dashpot from my dashboard.  Or a rotor from a
regulator.  But I suspect the following, perhaps someone could enlighten me:
I would guess that a spring of some sort is too loose or too tight, and that
perhaps a spray of WD-40, a new spring, or some other minor alteration could
be all that is required to solve this problem.  Is it simple for one to
access the throttle control, make a minor adjustment, avoid ***ing up my
carbs, and put it all back together, given that I'm at the moment out of my
league?  How do I do it?

Best regards,

Charles Sorkin
'74 Midget