NO LBC: Acronyms

To: boxweed@thebest.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: NO LBC: Acronyms
From: Richard D Arnold <richard.arnold@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 08:38:00 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
>I've been wondering what some of these acronyms (like LOL and YMMV)
>that are used frequently on the List meant, but never got around to
asking.  Is
>there anyplace one can look these up?

These are shorthand and abbreviations used in e-mail messages (from the
files of "Did you know, or even care?" type odds and ends collected over
the last several years):

ACRONYMS

AAMOF           As A Matter Of Fact
ADN             Any Day Now
AFAIK           As Far As I Know
AMF             Goodbye! (Adios [My Friend])
AS              (On) Another Subject
ATSL            Along The Same Line
AWGTHTGTTA?     Are We Going To Have To Go Through This Again?

B4N             Bye For Now
BAD             Broken As Designed
BAMF            Bad [A] [My Friend]
BBR             Burnt Beyond Recognition
BBS             Bulletin Board System
BCNU            Be seeing you
BNF             Big Name Fan
BRB             (I'll) Be Right Back
BRS             Big Red Switch
BTA             But Then Again
BTW             By The Way
BWQ             BuzzWord Quotient

CU              See You
CUL             See You Later
CUL8R           See You Later
CYA             Cover Your [A]

DIIK            Damned If I know
DTRT            Do The Right Thing
DWIMC           Do What I Mean Correctly

ESAD            Eat [Sugar] And Die
ETLA            Extended Three Letter Acronym

FAQ             Frequently Asked Questions
FISH            First In, Still Here
FITB            Fill In The Blank
FOAF            Friend Of A Friend
FRED            [Frigging] Ridiculous Electronic Device
FUBAR           [Fouled] Up Beyond All Recognition (or repair)
FURTB           Full Up Ready To Burst (regarding a hard drive)
FWIW            For What It's Worth
FYBITS          [Fool] You, Buddy, I'm The Sysop.
FYI             For Your Information

<G>             Grin
GA              Go Ahead (or, 'I'm done, it's your turn to talk')
<GD&R>  Grinning, Ducking & Running (placed at end of a nasty
                message)
GDW             Grin, Duck, and Weave
GFR             Grim File Reaper
GIGO            Garbage In, Garbage Out
GIGO            Garbage In, Gospel Out (believing everything from
                computers)
GIWIST          Gee I Wish I'd Said That
GLAGH           Good Luck And Good Hunting
GMTA            Great Minds Think Alike

HHTYAY          Happy Holidays to You and Yours
HWMBO           He Who Must Be Obeyed

IAE             In Any Event
IANAL           I Am Not A Lawyer
IC              I See
IITYWISWYBMAD   If I Tell You What It Says, Will You Buy Me A Drink
IMAO            In My Arrogant Opinion
IMCO            In My Considered Opinion
IMHO            In My Humble (or Honest) Opinion
IMNSHO          In My Not So Humble Opinion
IMO             In My Opinion
IOW             In Other Words
ISBAB           I Should've Bought A Book
ITSFWI          If The Shoe Fits, Wear It
IWBNI           It Would Be Nice If

JIC             Just In Case
JITNOT          Just In The Nick Of Time

KHYF            (I) Know How You Feel

L8R             Later...
LAB&TYD Life's A Bitch & Then You Die
LTNT            Long Time, No Type

MLA             Multi Letter Acronym
MOTAS           Member Of The Appropriate Sex
MOTOS           Member Of The Opposite Sex
MOTSS           Member Of The Same Sex

NBFD            No Big [Frigging] Deal
NFW             No [FrigginG] Way
NTYMI           Now That You Mention It

OFTPATHIRIO     Oh [Fool] This Place And The Horse It Rode In On
OIC             Oh, I See
OTOH            On The Other Hand

PFM             Pure [Frigging] Magic
PITA            Pain In The [A]
PLOKTA          Press Lots Of Keys To Abort
PMFBI           Pardon Me For Butting In
POSSLQ  Person of Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters
POV             Point Of View
PPTSPAHS        Please Pass The Salt, Pepper And Hot Sauce

<ROTF>          Rolling On The Floor
<ROTFL> Rolling On The Floor Laughing
<ROTFLMAO>      Rolling On The Floor Laughing My [A] Off
RPG             Role Playing Game
RSN             Real Soon Now
RTFM            Read The [Fine] Manual (or message)

<SG>            Sheepish Grin
SFLA            Stupid Four Letter Acronym
SMOP            Small Matter Of Programming
SNAFU           Situation Normal, All [Fouled] Up
SO              Significant Other
SOW             Speaking Of Which
SWMBO           She Who Must Be Obeyed
SYSOP           System Operator

TAFN            That's All For Now
TARFU           Things Are Really [Fouled] Up
TANJ            There Ain't No Justice
TANSTAAFL       There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
TDM             Too Damn Many
TFTHAOT Thanks For The Help Ahead Of Time
TGIF            Thank God It's Friday
TIA             Thanks In Advance
TLA             Three Letter Acronym
TOBAL           There Oughta Be A Law
TOBG            This Oughta Be Good
TPTB            The Powers That Be
TTBOMK  To The Best Of My Knowledge
TTFN            Ta Ta For Now
TTL4N           That's The Lot For Now
TTUL            Talk To You Later
TTYL            Talk To You Later
TTYL8R          Talk To You Later

WIMP            Windows, Icons, Mice, and Pointing
WOFTAM  Waste Of [Frigging] Time And Money
WTF             What The [F]
WYGIWYPF        What You Get Is What You Pay For
WYSBYGI What You See Before You Get It
WYSIWYG What You See Is What You Get

YABA            Yet Another Bloody Acronym
YDKWTFIGODY     You Don't Know What [F] Is Going On, Do You
YJDKDY          You Just Don't Know, Do Ya
YGLT            You're Gonna Love This
YMMV            Your Mileage May Vary
*****

EMOTICONS (Emotion Icons)

:)              The original smiley face, "I'm Happy"
:(              The original frown
:-)             Smiling, happy face; don't take me too seriously
B-)             Above, but poster wears glasses or sunglasses
8-)             Same as previous; also used to denote wide-eyed look
#:-)            :-) done by someone with sort of matted hair
:-(             Sad or angry face
>:-(            Even angrier face
@=              Flame about nuclear war, power or weapons follows
                mushroom cloud)
;-)             Winking happy face (something said tongue-in-cheek)
:-P             Tongue stuck out
:-b             Same as previous
:-B             Buck-toothed smile
:-D             Wider happy face (or mouth open too much)
:-o             "Oh, nooooooo!" (a la Mr. Bill)
#:-o            Same as previous
:-)##           Person with a beard
@:-)##          Person with a beard and a turban
(:-)            Messages dealing with bicycle helmets
<:-)            Dumb questions
oo              "Somebody's head-lights are on" messages
O>-<|=          Messages of interest to women
;-)             Wink ( take this message with a grain of salt)
|-(             Late night messages
:^)             Messages teasing people about their noses
:-{#}           Messages teasing people about their braces
(:-#            Message concerning something that shouldn't have been
                said
(:-$            Message indicating person is ill
(:-&            Message indicating person is angry
(:-*            Kiss
(:-(            Message indicating person is VERY sad
(:^(            Message concerning people with broken noses
(:<)            Message concerning blabber mouths
:-(=)           Message about people with big teeth.
&:-)            Message from a person with curly hair
@:-)            Message from a person with wavy hair
?-(             Message about people with a black eye
b-)             Message about a pirate
*:*             Message about fuzzy things
*:**            Message about fuzzy people with a fuzzy mustache
%-)             Message about people with broken glasses
+<:-|           Message from a monk/nun
{0-)            Message from cyclops
(:-D            Message concerning another blabber mouth
(:-|K-          Formal message
B-)             Message from Batman
@%&$%&  You know what that means
||*(            Handshake offered
||*)            Handshake accepted
>< ><           Message about/to someone wearing argyle socks
:-)<><////>     Message about someone wearing a striped tie
2B|^2B          Message about Shakespeare
=|:-)##         Message about Uncle Sam
>:-{            Message about Dracula
\:-)            Message about Gumby
(-_-)           Secret smile
<{:-)}          Message in a bottle
<:-)<<|         Message from a space rocket
(:-...          Heart-breaking message
<<<(:-)         Message from a hat sales-man
(O--<           A fishy message
(8-)            Message from a four-eyes
(:>-<           Message from a thief: hands up!
<I==I)          A message on four wheels
:^{             User wears a mustache
:*)             Another person wearing a mustache
{               User is Alfred Hitchcock