Rear axle seals

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear axle seals
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 10:14:44 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I got into the rear brakes on my '77 Midget yesterday.  Actually they weren't
too bad.  I was able to clean up the adjusters, and I had all the rest of the
parts to replace the wheel cylinders, springs and shoes.  I'll have the drums
cut.  I also replaced the brake pipes along the axle and put in the new
braided flex hose.

Then I noticed it!  Drip, drip, drip from the hubs.  I wondered why the rear
brakes on the right side were so oily.  Dripping on the left wasn't as bad.
Who designed the axle so that when the seals go bad the oil drips into the
brake drums!

I've ordered a set of bearings and seals.  My question to the list...what am
I getting into here?  If I get these things apart, will I be able to put them
back together without a hydraulic press, or am I better off letting the shop
that will eventually inspect the car, do the seals?

The procedure in the manuals doesn't look too bad, except that the Bentley
says to use the "special tool #XXXX" which I don't have.

I'll check the archives for more info, but please give me your thoughts.

Thanx,

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport