Re: Ribcase problems

To: ldsp <ldsp@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Ribcase problems
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 21:07:02 -0400
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
ldsp wrote:

> I have a 64 Midget that has a 1098 and ribcase transmission in it. First
> gear is making noise so I pulled the motor and trans to fix the trans. Is
> the ribcase any harder to rebuild than a smooth case and what should I look
> for as to it only having a noise in first? ( laygear shaft , bearing or
> what) Also what is the approx.. cost in bearings provided the gears are in
> good shape?
>
> TIA
> Leo

Leo

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
My ribcase was making ungodly noise in first for years. I switched to a
5 speed now.
It is most likely worn gears and bearings.
Ribcase or smooth case are about the same once you get into them.
All the parts a slightly different and not interchangable.
Definatly do a layshaft, thrust washers, bearings, bulk rings and
gaskets.
If you have to do gears too, it's cheaper to do a 5 speed. ;)
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ