Newbie questions

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Newbie questions
From: David Hauser <dmhst31+@pitt.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 23:29:14 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
        Hey folks,

        I'm a brand new subscriber to the list, and not yet a car owner.  I am
asking for some advice, or at least a point in the right direction of some
advice.

        I have located a 1959 Austin-Healey Sprite for sale somewhat locally.
It's been stored in a "shed" for the last 15 years and is not in running
condition.  The present owner claims the body is in fairly good condition
(a few dings, not much rust) but the mechanicals need work.  The package
deal comes with a few spare parts (a spare hood, a spare head, a spare
crank, and a "Judson" supercharger, and other minor parts).

        I'm trying to figure out what I need to know before I go and visit it in
order that I might evaluate it properly.  Is there a FAQ out there
somewhere about what goes wrong with the body?  Where should I look for
serious rust?  What is the dividing line between repairable, restorable and
lost cause?  Are there easy answers to these questions?

        I've been autocrossing for many years, and have some reasonable
mechanical
ability and space to store/work on the car for a while.  I love the look of
the bugeye, and have been doing a sort of low grade search for one for a
month when this kinda snuck up on me.

        Anyway, I'm just looking for some good evaluation advice.  If it helps,
the car (and I) am in West Virginia.

        Thanks for your time and patience.  I'm sure you've all seen questions
like this before on the list.

        Dave Hauser
        dmhst31+@pitt.edu
        University of Pittsburgh
        1993 Mazda RX7 R1 (fast)
        ?? 1959 Austin-Healey Sprite (graceful?) ??