Bonneville (no LBC)

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bonneville (no LBC)
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 10:29:55 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Well guys I am down to this weekend to finish the work and then we head off
for our first race on the salt flats of Bonneville....

Sure the Car is a Camaro still... and a damn shame toooooo but it is a mule
to learn by.... a Test Vehicle ... so to speak.. and we are working our
tails off trying to get all the little stuff sorted out...

Brief re-cap of what we have done in the last year....

Keith Goes to Bonneville to see how to build his Modified Sports Race
car....
YES IT IS A HEALEY.... Sorta... Okay it has a Healey body....

Keith gets suckered into buying a Race Car.... 1980 Camaro ... then we
raced it up in Maxton North Carolina with my Youngest Son (delayed start of
the Bugeye as a result but a fella has to learn somewhere)

Sept 98  138 mph    Oct 98  147 mph...

took the winter to rebuild the car and install a ton of new and improved
systems

My racing Partner and Oldest Friend.... Brad was in Korea for the first two
races and we build the car in the early going on the internet... he came
home and started racing with me

Mar 99  166 mph..... not bad on 425hp

Installed the Race motor for the May meet and Lost the Driveshaft at 172mph
296 cubic inch (destroked 302 ) Chevrolet motor with all the goodies

Fixed the drive shaft.... and at the June meet the car was about Perfect...
we ran 180.361 mph

So all of that having been said.... We have raced the car five times and
taken it in Baby steps so far... Bonneville is a 5 mile course compared to
Maxton's 1 mile... and we are Looking for the car to run somewhere in the
low 200mph range  Most likely 205-----   and the record is 219 mph...
basically we think the record is safe from us.... but our first year
doesn't have to be much more then the experiences we have had to this point
to be successful...(I love setting your own goals)  and to be honest...
right this min I am like a kid at Christmas... fun stuff.... Thanks for all
your support and allowing me to Rattle on about NON Healey stuff....
(someday it will be Healey stuff.... I really want to go faster then Donald
Healey in a Healey)

Keith Turk
Austin Healey 100  /  Bugeye / Box Sprite / Bonneville Land Speed Racer
Camaro ( D Gas Altered )