Re: Timing the 1275 ?

To: Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM, dwramsey@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Timing the 1275 ?
From: Bryan Vandiver <Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 12:59:49 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Crash,

Thanks...
You are absolutely right.  The crank timing should not change. I didn't really
'think' when I sent my first message.
When I had the head off, that's when I checked for TDC, and noticed that the
'pointer' on the front of the timing cover was off by 2.5 degrees, so I just
assumed it had moved. It goes to show how 'accurate' the actual factory
markings
are.
Since I am using an ignitor electronic ignition, I don't think I have any way
adjust dwell, so I don't think think there's anything to worry about there??
I don't have the vacuum advance for my 'stock' 1275 dizzy hooked up at this
point, since I'm using a dellorto side-draft, which doesn't accommodate for it
If I don't hook this up, will that cause a problem down the road ??(so to
speak).
Does anyone out there have any info on modifying a side-draft, for vacuum
advance?? It seems like a a properly placed hole drilled through the carb body
would do the trick, but I don't want to do that unless I'm really sure about
what to do.
At this point I'm not really in the mood to spend a lot of $$ to buy a new
mechanical advance distributor. I've poured a lot of time and $$ into this
project so far, and it's getting harder for me to justify spending even more $$
at this point.

Regards - Bryan

>To: "Bryan Vandiver" <Bryan.Vandiver@eng.sun.com>
>Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
>Subject: Re: Timing the 1275 ?
WAA14964

>Bryan,  If you used an "offset cam key" the timing mark on the "crank" doesn't
change.  TDC is TDC for the piston not the cam and the piston is connected to
the crank not the cam.  The key is to install the timing cover and crank pulley
while your dial indicator is still on #1 piston so you can mark TDC.  Then if
you don't have and advance timing light you can also make marks at 10 and 37
deg, I use different colors for each mark.  Total advance should occur at 4K
rpm
and should be between 36 and 38 deg according to Vizard (as I recall the book
calls for 34 deg stock).  Then you can "speed time" it at 4k and then check the
timing with a static light so you can R&R the distributor fast if you need to
later.  If you don't have either a advance or regular dynamic light have
someone
else speed time it and then go home and static time it and make your two marks
on top where you can see them, you can then repeat the setting whenever you
disturb the distributor.  Did I mention that t!
>!
>!
>he points dwell affects the timing but the timing doesn't affect the dwell.
Thats another story, always check the dwell before the timing.