engine smokes with new head

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: engine smokes with new head
From: robert weeks <robert@woozy.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 11:53:37 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi,

I put a rebuilt cylinder head in my Midget this weekend and now the exhaust
is full of whiteish / greyish smoke. It's not totally billiowing, totally
white smoke like in a blown head gasket, it's more greyish like in a tired
engine.

The rest of the engine had been rebuilt earlier this year and has about
2000 miles on it. I waited to rebuild the head because of finances. The
head got new silicon/bronze guides, new seals on the intake valves and new
hardened exhaust seats. I used a new copper competition head gasket when
installing it and torqued the head to spec for the ARP bolts. The head was
magnafluxed to check for cracks and the deck was skimmed for flatness.

Will this go away as it breaks in or is there something seriously wrong here?

Thanks,

Robert