Re: backfire on over-run

To: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: backfire on over-run
From: Mark Endicott <endicott@nashville.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 12:58:38 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Jeff Boatright wrote:

> I'm installing a set of rebuilt SU carbs and I'm getting a lot of backfire
> on over-run (i.e., take foot off accelerator pedal and let engine slow
> car). Is this a symprom of too lean or too rich? I don't think it's an
> exhaust system problem as I did not have this problem with the other set of
> carbs.
>
> TIA,
>
> Jeff
>
> Jeff Boatright    __o_\__           '65 Austin-Healey Sprite
> http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/sprite/sprite.html

Hello Jeff:

I posted a similar request a few weeks ago as I have been having the same
"problem".  The car runs good but still cracks and pops on deceleration.  I
suspected a burned valve but my compression tests are all in 150 area with no
changes from previous tests.  I have noticed that pulling the choke out a
little seems to stop it which would indicate that it due to the engine running
a little lean, but the plugs look normal after a long run.  I would be
interested in what you find if you fix it.

--
Mark
1970 Midget

http://members.home.net/mendicott/midget.html