What's a full Monty Breakfast, was: Brit passes

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: What's a full Monty Breakfast, was: Brit passes
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 08:19:15 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
All right list...  What -exactly- is a full Monty breakfast?  I've been
thinking of numerous connotations of this phrase, since the current rare
rainstorm has kept me indoors.

Anyway, the more important issue is the continued starting difficulty that
the 1275 '74 Midget is presenting.  Apparently, the car is only a dependable
starter when it the engine is cold.  When I brought this issue up a couple
of weeks ago, the common advice was to check that my valves were not worn,
burnt, or out of adjustment.  And they are not, as a local mechanic
determined.  In fact, I was told the the car was one of the quietest Midgets
the fellow had ever come across.  I suspect that as I can get the car
started (when warm) by pushing it down a hill, that I could be having a
problem with my coil.  Is it likely that an old coil, whuch could deform or
expand due to a heat buildup could be causing this problem?  When the engine
is running, a modestly flawed coil could still allow the sparks to fire,
just not reliably enough to get started.

And anyway, since I do not know the age of the existing coil, I've been told
to change it anyway.  Given that, should I just go with the regular Bosch
coil, or is there any benefit to using one of the higher voltage deluxe
coils advertised for instance in the Vicky Brit catalog?  Regardless, the
warmth issue also necessitates further checking of the radiator, but, hey,
one thing at a time.

What other precision parts might be behaving in this manner due to heat?
Just so everyone knows, the car has never overheated in the six weeks that
I've owned it, but in the recent heat wave, there have been a couple of
instances of it getting a bit to warm for comfort.

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget (How about strapping your hands cross my engine?)
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com
Bloomfield, NJ