RE: Engine advice needed (kind of long)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Engine advice needed (kind of long)
From: curt.onstott@orst.edu
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 09:24:02 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Ron-

Exhaust Valves tend to wear faster because: 1) They get less lubrication
because the pressure from the exhaust gas makes it harder for oil to make
it's way down the valve stem. Since air is being sucked into the engine
during the exhaust stroke, it is easier for oil to make its way down the
valve guide.

2) Exhaust valves are subjected to high temperature exhaust gases.  Intake
valves are cooled by the intake charge.