Re: Gosh Darn it!

To: Mark Snowdon <racer45@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Gosh Darn it!
From: Bill Elliott <wcelliot@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 20:47:59 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Down in eastern NC when I was in college autocrossing a Midget, I crewed
for a dirt track racer with a real sense of humor.

In the "mini-stock" 4 banger class, we ran a SAAB Sonett against the
Pinto's and Vega's. We always has more traction, but not enough power...
until we realized the rules allowed us to use ANY 4 cylinder engine made
by SAAB.  So we grafted a late model 900 drivetrain on the front.
(Couldn't run the front body of course, but that was legal)  Won
everything until the local track "outlawed" front wheel drive.

So, we took a rusty FIAT X1/9 and dropped a 1800 twincam in it.  We were
even more successful until they outlawed mid-engines a few races later.

We got the idea they didn't want us to play with them!  (We hadn't even
gotten to his Abarth-equipped FIAT 850!)

Bill Elliott
Lake Mills, WI