Turning it over...

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Turning it over...
From: "Eric Russell" <redhotsprite@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 00:43:47 PDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I have always loved LBCs. Ever since I was kid. When I was growing up there
was an MGB I had my eye on, but never got a hold of. Then of course I fell
in love with the lines and low doors of the TR3. But what I adopted was a
poor abandoned 68 AH Sprite. It was just so sad and lonely. It hadn't seen
driver joy in 15 years, and I decided that this car needed my help. So I
have spent the past couple of months cleaning it up and now I get to the
engine, and this is where I seek some advice.

No leaks, and the oil is clean despite not being run in 15 years which is
encouraging, and there is compression because the car brakes when in gear,
so now I want to check to see if the valves are stuck or move freely, just
checking to see if I can avoid removing the head. I have removed the valve
cover, and the plugs, and I go to turn the crank nut, but can't get to it.
The crossmember won't allow a socket set to get in there, and the nut is
recessed...so I can't get it with my crescent. I was thinking of going out
to buy a curved wrench to get in there, but was hoping to see if any of you
had any bright ideas. I can't turn it with a belt....they are all gone
including most of the attachments they run. If I have to buy the wrench,
what size is it?

Looking forward to any assistance,

Eric Russell
Los Gatos, CA