Re: Running hot

To: "B. Schiefelbein" <bjschief@acay.com.au>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Running hot
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 20:58:11 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Bruce,

Thanks for the input. First step tonight was to pull the thermostat. It
only has 5,000 miles and 6 months use. So of course, it's sho; won't open
even in boiling water! But hey, it was made in America (Stanton). Also, I
was running lean on the two rear cylinders. I was not running too advanced,
though. BTW, setting timing on these cars is easy because you can really
hear them ping if you're too advanced.

Good luck with yours. Mine has always run right at 180 with a 180 'stat
until this...

Jeff

---
On 8/20/99, B. Schiefelbein wrote:
>Jeff,
>
> The general consensus varies !!!!
>
>Shawn Tobin wrote:
>
>A mixture which is too lean will run hot
>A stuck Thermostat will cause it to run hot
>Timing which is too retarded will run hot
>Shutting off the heater valve at the rear will cause it to run hot
>
>Things suggested:
>Make sure the fan is only 1/4 in from the radiator and only use 50% anti
>freeze
>Leave the heater on
>Advance the timing until it pings and then back off until no pinging
>Install 160F (70C) thermostat
>

>Carolyn/Rick wrote:
>
>Replace thermostat
>Boil engine with cleaner
>Retard timing - not much, just a couple to 4 degrees
>
>Bob and Annice suggested
>Flush it a few times (They did it three times) to ensure a clean flow of
>water
>
>There is another long reply from Chuck so I will forward it to you.   As for
>the General Consensus .... from what I gather so far it is pretty General.
>I understand that lean will run hot and rich will run cool, but I need to
>learn more about the timing (advance / retard). She runs well on the open
>road (60-100km) but i usually get concerned when sitting in traffic.
>
>I hope this has helped
>

>Bruce (Still somewhat confused) Sch.....
>
>>What was the general consensus on your problem and potential solutions?
>>
>>TIA,
>>Jeff
>>
>>---
>>On 8/20/99, B. Schiefelbein wrote:
>>>Thanks for the advice from all.   I'm going to buy some more radiator
>flush
>>>this weekend and give the radiator another clean.
>>>

>>>Bruce Sch.....

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
http://www.molvis.org/molvis