RE: Off to the body shop

To: "'Harris Goodkind'" <harris@lightspeed.net>
Subject: RE: Off to the body shop
From: "Hanna, Mark" <mhanna@ball.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 10:22:18 -0600
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Harris ,
Thanks for sharing the pictures with us .Body restoration is often the most
expensive part of the whole restoration process . Luckily anything can be
fixed . It looks like this car has a fair bit of rust. (Our British friends
refer to the car as having been visited by the tin worm) Make certain that
the sockets where the quarter elliptic springs are attached to the body are
in sound condition . Rusted metal panels cannot be repaired satisfactorily .
(unless we are talking minor surface rust ) Rusted out panels need to be cut
back to sound metal in order for the repair to last . Because of the way a
Spite is constructed each panel adds to the strength of the overall
structure . Fortunately every conceivable repair panel for this car is
available . Unfortunately , judging from your pictures I think you will need
more than $700 dollars worth of repair panels to do the job right . It is a
very satisfying experience to save one of these wonderful cars . Good luck
Harris ! God save the Queen Mark Hanna
AN5