Re: Smoking Midget

To: cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Smoking Midget
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 10:51:39 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 8/31/99 7:04:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< It seems that the white smoke from the Midget is coming from the ground
wire
 of the battery.  Apparently it is decaying, and the insulation is burning
 up.  The wire was hot and sparking when I handled it.  Is this simply a
 fault of an old wire, or is it symptomatic of a more sinister electrical
 problem?

 I'll be replacing the cable with a generic type from Autozone (I have no
 reason to think that I need to purchasae the Moss Motors brand battery
 cable.)  What else should I check for? >>

That should do it.  Arcing and heat are caused by a loose connection.  As the
old cable collects corrosion the connection degrades.

Buy the generic cable.  Remove both cables from the battery and clean the
terminals well with baking soda and a small wire brush.  The baking soda will
neutralize battery acid.  Clean the terminal of the cable you are not
replacing, and make sure the terminal is tightly attached to the cable.
Smear some vaseline jelly on both terminals and put the cables back on,
tight.  Then smear some more vaseline on the outside of the connectors.  The
vaseline will keep air and moisture from causing more corrosion, and it also
prevents diaper rash.

Don't forget to check the other end of both cables for clean, tight
connections.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport