that fate thing

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: that fate thing
From: "cfchrist" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 16:45:06 -0000
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
sorry i got up on my soap box a little long there.   i just see that the
average age of participants in car shows and racing is slowly going up!   as
fewer and fewer people are being exposed to racing and shows.  i notice that
at the races  the stands are a ghost town.   i see at car shows very few
younger individuals.   even at hillclimbs that in the 50's and 60's drew as
many as 150-200 entrants are overjoyed to see 50-75 entrants.  where have we
gone?  in spite of outings (caravaning / meetings etc.) there is just no
contact with the general public.   it has become an underground kind of
affair.    i see the same thing in my train (ho scale) hobby.   you never
tell someone you collect (concieved as play with) toy trains for fear of
being acused of being a child/baby by associates and friends.  so you never
discuss it!   untill you bump into an old friend at a show remarking"  i
didn't know you......".      car shows are the same thing and so is racing.
in a  sleeping society how do you wake someone up?

chuck.
burning my soap box!