RE: Midget Hubcaps

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Midget Hubcaps
From: Paul A Asgeirsson <pasgeirsson@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 00:37:47 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
>From Rick Feibusch

Paul - please forward to the Spridget list - Thanks, Rick

Dear Paul & Curtis,
Yes I have seen a few sets in my time - They were fasioned after the
slotted Italian hubcaps available on Fiats, Siatas and Abarths at the
time,
These were available through dealerships about the time the Bugeye was
being replaced with the MKII, but still had sidecurtains. From what I
understand, in the US, All of the early "square" Sprites were fitted with
steel disc wheels and all of the earliest Midgets ALL had wire wheels and
bunch of extra chrome, like an MGB style side trim and a "power spear"
down
the middle of the bonnet. The hubcaps would not work on wires. So - Was
when the disc brakes were added to these cars and both came standard with
disc wheels and a wire option were these hubcaps available? Or, was my
info
wrong about ALL early Midgets coming with wires. Since the car was
glittered up as it was, possibly, these fancy full wheel covers come
standard on the earliest Midgets before wire wheels were available.
Anybody
out there gots any ideas?

Cheers,
Rick Feibusch