Rear axle seal question

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear axle seal question
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 17:49:15 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
A quick opinion poll, if you don't mind.

I just pulled the rear axle out of one side of my '77 Midget.  The seals were
leaking, just a drop or two, so I figured I better fix it before they drip
into the new brakes.  I bought seals and bearings for the rear.

The bearings appear to be fine.  There is no discernible play in any
direction, and the hub turns smoothly.

Do you think I need to remove the hub and replace the bearings and the inner
oil seal, or will it be enough to just replace the O-ring and paper gasket on
the outside of the axle?  Will the lug nuts place enough pressure on them to
seal the oil in, considering it is only an occasional drip, or should this
not drip at all and do you think the inner oil seal is really the culprit?

I am trying to get the thing finished enough to get it inspected and on the
road, but I will replace the bearings and the inner seal if the conventional
wisdom of this unconventional list deems it the prudent thing to do.

Thanks,

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport