Re: Temp Reading

To: "Jason Burden" <jayburden@home.com>, "Spridget Mail List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Temp Reading
From: "David Riker" <davidr@sunset.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 20:43:09 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Jason
Oh boy are there alot of different opinions on this one.  Modern engines are
actually designed to run between 240 and 260 degrees.  They do this without
boiling over by running at higher coolant pressures, and precise
antifreeze/water ratios in the neighborhood of three parts coolant to two
parts water.  When our LBC's were designed, oil was not as stable, machining
was not as precise, gasket technology wasn't as good, and hoses were made
from natural rubber instead of reinforced synthetic bits.

I was once told that our LCB's run between 100 and 110 degrees above the
ambient temperature.  So if it is 100 degrees outside, the car will run
between 200 and 210 degrees.  With a rebuilt engine, modern headgasket,
uprated head studs, reinforced hoses, and a 16 lb cap, there is no reason
that our cars would have any problem even up to 230-240 degrees.  The
problems arrise if the cooling system looses water, causing engine
temperatures to skyrocket.

Just opinion, mind you.

David Riker
74 Midget