Hey. . .What the. . .!!!

To: Spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Hey. . .What the. . .!!!
From: Lancer7676@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 16:17:28 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I was taking a Labor Day drive in my Midget, top down, with the wife, and
decided to run by a house about 15 miles from home where I had seen a little
white chrome bumper Midget sitting wantingly beside someone's house.  Thought
I would stop and take a gander at it and see whether they wanted to sell it.

Sure enough it was still there, and the ladies on the front porch said yes,
it was for sale, for $500.   Hmmm--Yeah--I will look at it!   Approaching, I
can see that it is chrome bumper, square arches, headrests on the seats--that
makes it what. . .1970 or 71? Rusty bubbles in the paint--opened the door--no
top or top frame--just an ineffective piece of vinyl cloth draped over a
piece of bent rebar in a futile attempt to keep the water out.  Floors rusted
through--cross member maybe ok, maybe not.  Door A-post on drivers side is
solid!!  Upholstry, dash, and carpeting are all crud.  Now let's take a look
at that engine!!

With anticipation raised the hood--no latch or prop.  Peered inside the
engine compartment and . . .uh. . .what the hell????   In place of the engine
is a round cannister--a large, probably foot in diameter, electric motor has
been installed and attached to the transmission.  They had welded a piece of
sheet metal across the frame members and mounted the electric motor on it.
The clutch has probably been removed as the clutch master cylinder is gone.
In the boot were three batteries that the electric motor was attached to.

Shakng my head, I went back to the ladies on the front porch and asked them
about the original motor--they knew nothing.  They indicated that the car
belonged ot their landlord and that he had gotten it from whoever put the
electric motor in it.  They said "He might take less than $500 for it!"
Yeah. . .you bet!   The car would be a project and a half, I think.  My heart
and soul are just not up to another rusty hulk sitting around whispering
sweet nothings in my ear to come and strip her down.

Anybody has any interest I can put you in touch with the owner.  As I said,
lots of work there, but it might be a good parts car for someone.   And if
you need an electric motor. . . . .Hahahaha!!!!

---David C.