Re: Front bearing question

To: Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: Front bearing question
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 17:17:08 -0400
Cc: pasgeirsson@juno.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Ajhsys@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 09/05/1999 4:20:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> pasgeirsson@juno.com writes:
>
>  P.S.  And leave out the #%@! spacer! >>
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Okay, I give up.  What is the spacer for?  I have the left front hub apart,
> and the spacer is ground down about 1/8" in places around it.  It looks like
> it is just lying inside the hub loose, and it just spins around whenever it
> wants to, grinding down the inside of the hub as well.
>
> The bearings hit a ledge when they are installed, so I can't see a reason for
> the spacer.  I am inclined to leave it out, but I would like to know the
> reason for the design.
>
> One more question.  Which way does the word "THRUST" go?

THRUST goes towards the spacer on both bearings.
If you had one wrong, that's why your spacer is all chewed up.
Thrust faces thrust with the spacer keeping them apart.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ

60 Bugeye Sprite (my car)
67 Sprite (wife's car)
59 Austin A40 Farina w/AC (daughters car)
71 MG Midget racer (working on it)

http://www.exit109.com/~spritenut/