Re: Front caliper mounting

To: "R. C. Brown" <rcbrown@lucent.com>, "Gerard Chateauvieux" <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Subject: Re: Front caliper mounting
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 15:33:32 -0400
Cc: <Ajhsys@aol.com>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Allen's Midget concours?????? Nah I think not!! (not yet anyway)

In my younger days as a mechanic I was taught that a lock washer can come
loose from vibration. While a locktab will block any rotation of the nut.
Provided it is installed properly. We used either Locktabs or safety
wires on critical components on Caterpillars and Waukesha engines.
Lockwashers were avoided in locations where torque and vibration were
concerns.

Larry

At this exact moment in time 9/7/99 15:00, rcbrown@lucent.com made the
profound statement:

>Alen,
>Another reason to use the lock tabs vs lock washers is to
>maintain the concours condition of your vehicle! :)
>
>Gerard Chateauvieux wrote:
>>
>> Alen,
>>
>> I think if you choose to use lock washers instead of the lock tabs, use
>> some Lok-tite on the threads as well. Another altetnative, if you have a
>> drill press, is to cross-drill a small hole through the hex head and safety
>> wire it in place. You can run the wire between the two bolts.
>>
>> Gerard
>>
>> At 11:00 AM -0400 9/7/99, Ajhsys@aol.com wrote:
>> >Does anyone use lock washers to mount their front brake calipers instead of
>> >those silly tab washers?  What year did the British discover the lock
>washer?
>> > (Or are we still waiting?)
>> >
>> >Can anyone give me a reason to use the tab washers over a good grade 5 lock
>> >washer?
>> >
>> >Allen Hefner
>> >'77 Midget
>> >'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport