More on Safety Wiring

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: More on Safety Wiring
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 06:25:40 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Actually, on an aircraft almost every bolt and fitting
is safety wired because it is not only the fastener
failing that is bad, it is the damage a bolt can cause
by seating itself in, say, an engine core, an
actuator, a fan, etc. (this is known as FOD, "Foreign
Object Debris or Damage").  When I worked on JSTARS at
Northrop Grumman, we would FOD an engine every few
months to the tune of $1 million of your tax dollars,
despite daily "FOD Walks" where we would line up and
walk the taxiway picking up debris.  Bolts are also
installed in orientations so that if a nut works loose
the bolt has a chance of staying put.  Drives the
wrench turners crazy cause the heads are usually in
extremely unaccessible areas.

Ron