Terrapin Mk1 Historic

To: egnorant@flash.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Terrapin Mk1 Historic
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 15:32:30 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 17/09/99 18:57:18 GMT Daylight Time, egnorant@flash.net
writes:

<< These cars featured in
 the well known book HIGH SPEED LOW COST by Staniforth and were built from
plans he supplied.  Quite a large number were built late60s-80s and achieved
hundreds of wins in speed  hillclimbs and speed trials plus setting several
World speed records for small capacity cars. >>

The advert is misleading and ill informed in my opinion.  I'd get more
excited about buying a copy of the book of which I have only a tatty ex
public library copy.  The book was later revised and published by Haynes as
the Race and Rally car source book or something like that.  The only Terrapin
that set World Speed records as far as I know was Alan's car which was
supercharged and the records stood for years if not decades.  The story of
the world records is included in the original book and does not appear in the
later book.  As far as the car goes it is nothing special (especially if it
is only running a 40DCOE on a 1275 engine.  The design is a home built space
frame car built to take a variety of engines mostly Mini based (but other
engines were used).  Later cars (in the later book too) were more advanced
being of Monocoque construction!!.

Daniel1312