Re: Think about it (no LBC)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Think about it (no LBC)
From: andi payn <payn@null.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 15:27:10 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Just thought you should know, this is a hoax. It was not written by a
12-year-old girl in Boston. It's also not very recent. The last six lines
are a recent addition (post-Columbine, presumably, but maybe just from
around the time they started installing metal detectors in urban schools).
If anyone wants more details, I can dig them up.

And by the way, there is no public school in the country that has any rules
against children bringing Bibles to school, praying aloud, or reading from
the Bible. There are rules are against spending federal government money to
encourage any religion, but these rules do not prevent children from doing
any of these things if they want to.

In fact, my public high school in Los Angeles in the 1980s actually issued
me a Bible. I read from it aloud in class, was given reading assignments to
take home, and was tested on my knowledge. This was for a comparative
religion class. We also were given a Koran, an abridged selection of Vedas,
and a collection of writings from other religions.

I ran into the teacher a few years later and found out that the class was
canceled somewhere around 1989. But not because the federal government, the
State of California, or the LAUSD ordered it cancelled--just because there
was no interest among the students.

And of course bringing guns to school is illegal, and the laws on that are
far stronger now than they were in the 80s (or probably any other time in
the past). Which makes the new section more manipulative, misleading tripe.