Re: How to winterize?

To: cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How to winterize?
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 19:13:16 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 09/24/1999 2:13:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< What is the recommended regimen for winterizing a Spridget?  My garage is
 not heated, but is of wood construction with a concrete floor.  I intend to
 take the car out occaisonally, but never in wet or salty road conditions.

 I understand that some folks spray oil on the undercarriage of the car.  I
 have heard also that people pack the vehicle with sacks of silica gel, but
 that stuff is not terribly safe to keep around.  (It will do quite a number
 on those cats!)

 Is there a consensus about the temperature of thermostat to use in the
 Northeast climate? >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I don't think it necessary to go to extremes if you are going to occasionally
drive the car in the winter.  Packing a car away for a long, cold winter is
another story.  And one that you won't hear from me.  Our cars were meant to
be driven in all weather.

I would start with changing the coolant annually if you live in the cold
Northeast.  Use the coolant manufacturer's recommended dilution, since there
have been changes in anti-freeze since our older cars were produced.  (And
100% anti-freeze is not better than diluting it properly.)  The reason for
changing the thermostat is to give your heater a leg up in the winter.  I
used to use a 160 deg. 'stat in summer and 180 deg. in the winter.  No
mystery there.

Also, make sure you do all the regular maintenance.  Oil changes rank up
there with the the most important thing you can do for your car.  Not
changing the oil can lead to condensation of water inside the engine in
cooler weather, which is always bad.

See...an entire post about LBCs and not a single mention of cats.  OOPS!  I
blew it!

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport