TT@Road America

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: TT@Road America
From: Gary Speckman <speckman@coredcs.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 15:29:14 -0500
Cc: team-thicko@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Well, we've read the reports from Ron S. and Peter C. and others on last
weekends Vintage Races at Road America.  Funny thing.. I think it was two
years ago, after selling "the Beast" to Frank out in New Jersey that I
invited him out to Road America to see Vintage racing.  When he finally
found out where Road America was...his response was something like "Thats
way out in the Boonies!"

Well, hopefully his impression of Wisconsin has changed.  Its beautiful this
time of year, and this Fall Event at Road America is one of the prettiest.

It was great to meet Frank, who brought along a 948 block for me.  I may
need it, Frank.  On the third lap of the feature race on Sunday, I was going
thru the long, sweeping Carousel(the never ending turn)and glanced down at
my oil pressure guage.  The engine was turning about 7000 rpms and usually
had about 60 lbs of pressure at this point on the track.  Well, it was
showing 20 lbs and I immediately slowed the car down and moved over to the
side of the track.. As I was coasting, I got about 5 lbs of pressure at
idle.  Not a good sign, so I limped back to the pits and put the car on the
trailer.  Rebuild time.  I pulled the engine this morning, looked at the oil
and it looks fine. I hope I caught it before any internal damage was done.

Ron, you may need to have that stopwatch checked.  Honestly though, WST has
this track nailed.  It is one of,  if not THE favorite track for him and he
turns incredible times for a 948 cc Sprite.  He consistently had me by 5 or
more seconds a lap.  And he had a completely new rear suspension in his car
this year, so I am sure that took some getting used to.

Team Thicko entertained many many people, and it was great seeing Peter C
and Ron S again.  I am glad I had the chance to give them rides around Road
America in the TT Bugeye.  The "touring" sessions got a little out of hand
with two pace cars getting damaged..one spun and tapped the wall, and one
was actually hit by another car.(these accounts have not been officially
confirmed)That is absolutely nuts and if the behavior of the drivers in
touring doesnt change.. we may see an end to this.  That would be a sad day.

You have read the accounts of Peter and Ron as they had a few laps in a race
car.  Its an experience.  And even at 50 or 60 percent race speed, it gets
the adrenalin going.  I am glad we were able to get Ron, Frank and Peter out
there.  Ron says this is going to cost his wife a whole lot of money, cuz he
isnt coming back as a spectator...GO RON!

Frank says.. "Thats a 948 in there?  I want the recipe!".  It was fun.

Peter just got out of the car...wobbled a little and smiled.

Whos turn is it next year?

Next race.. Indianapolis Raceway Park..  October 8, 9 and 10.

Gary Speckman
Plover WI

PS  If any of you want to keep up to speed on Team Thicko's "happenings" we
do have our own mail list.  It is described as an "irreverant look at
Vintage Racing".  We'd welcome any and all new subscribers.