That could be my problem, right there....

To: team-thicko@autox.team.net
Subject: That could be my problem, right there....
From: Gary Speckman <speckman@coredcs.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 11:47:33 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Well, after suddenly dropping from 60 lbs of oil pressure to 20 lbs at last
weeks race at Road America, I had a chance to look inside the little 948
engine that had powered the Team Thicko Bugeye through 4 1/2 seasons of
racing with narry a wimper.

While moving the motor around, I could hear something sliding around on the
bottom of the oil pan.  Not a good sign.  After pulling the pan, I found
that one of the center main bearing cap bolts had broken off, and fell into
the pan.  It broke in the threaded area of the bolt.

Guess that answers the question as to why there are two of them things on
each cap.  So that explains where all my oil pressure went, but now I have
to wonder why that bolt broke.

I didnt have time to pull off the bearing caps to inspect the crank
journals, that will be done when I dismantle the engine for its rebuild.

This engine was built, believe it or not, in 1974, ran one race that year
and then sat till I started vintage racing it four years ago.

Oh ya, did I mention I did all this work in a snowstorm?  Yep, its snowing
here in Central Wisconsin.  Nice huh?

Gary Speckman
Plover WI

PS We be good to go for IRP.  Got the "Cheatin Dog" motor in and running.