Re: more on axles, please

To: "shawn tobin" <suhs2@hotmail.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: more on axles, please
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 09:21:52 +1000
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
They all break. However, competition ones do last for a long time.

One tip is that wire wheel half shafts are significantly stronger than the
stock steel wheel half shafts, so you can grab a wire wheel banjo, put
longer studs on the hubs and bolt on your steel  wheels. This is what I
did for the midget I just ran at Bathurst.

One added advantage is that you won't have as much rubbing on the
guards for those square wheel arch cars. However, depending on wheel
width and offset, you may rub on the inside under hard cornering. I use a
1/4" spacer to eliminate this problem with my wheels/tyres/rear springs.

This car has not had its guards pumped out and with sticky 175/60 race
rubber, I had only the slightest rubbing under extreme cornering.

Mike