MORe: Was Supertrapp--Now a Challenge!

To: Spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: MORe: Was Supertrapp--Now a Challenge!
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 12:21:47 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Was asked for more:
The shock in a pipe occurs at the end.  The pressure
wave in reflection turns negative instead of positive.
 The low pressure local eddys will cause some residual
exhaust to be drawn out of the combustion chamber.
The effect and geometry is determined by the local
speed of sound in the duct.  It is the suction caused
by the shock that gives you the advantage. This is why
stepped headers are allegedly so effective - the
designers tune the steps so the shocks occur at the
right time to maximize scavenge effect.