Gearbox switch

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Gearbox switch
From: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 00:41:27 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I recently acquired a ribcase tranny for my '68 Sprite. It supposedly came
out of another '68, but it has something I haven't seen before, and I think
it might be from a little later car. Besides the reverse switch (the one
with the pigtails on the right-hand forward side of the shifter) there is
another two contact switch on the left side of the shifter housing that is
in-line with the shifter centerline. I'm guessing this is an inhibitor
switch, perhaps for the ignition or in case the car is in gear. Can anyone
confirm the function of this switch and what it's wired to? Neither the
archives or my wiring diagrams provide a clue. Also, does anyone have any
reference material that would help me cross reference the serial number to
year manufactured?

TIA

Gerard

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux